Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Costco, Train, and Tea

The last two days have been our training for all the Foreign English Teachers in the county of Miaoli. Our training took place at Pantou Elementary in Toufen City, which meant we would have to take the train from where I live to get there. I was all ready for the opportunity to learn how to ride the train here, so that I can utilize the train system to get around. Most cities in Taiwan can be reached by train and it is one of the most efficient ways to travel around the island here.

I got up early, was picked up by our military guy Beta on his scooter bike, and met up with Shannon at the train station. Now, I'm bad enough with directions, but throw in a bunch of Chinese characters and Taiwan geography and I was completely lost, with no clue on how to buy a ticket or what train to get on. But thankfully, Beta showed us the entire process and explained the system to us. I'm still a bit fuzzy on identifying the right train to get on, but that will come with practice, and I'm sure it will all become pretty simple soon enough.

We arrived at our training site, Pantou Elementary, and started our professional development. The elementary is HUGE! Even bigger than my elementary, yet I was told that it is only average in size compared to other elementary in Taiwan. That really amazed me how different it is here. Here in Taiwan, there are less elementary, but they are usually huge. Meanwhile, high schools are generally smaller, but more in quantity. That is completely opposite from the U.S.!

It was very nice meeting some people from our group again, and getting to know more former English teachers. We were provided much information on our upcoming responsibilities, which asides from teaching at our school, will also include participating in Mobile English Village (more info on it later), recording for radio station, and even appearing in a public television program. How fun is that!

After training, they took us to a giant Costco, which felt pretty much just like home. They had everything that we could find at the Costco back home, from apple pie to frozen pizza, everything was in English. For a moment there, I really felt like I was back in the States. Afterward, we also dropped by to shop at the RT Mart, which is a very big supermarket. On our way back to the train station that night, we were able to witness a random firework display from down the road. Not too sure what it was for, but I was informed that it could have been in preparation for the Chinese Valentine's Day this Thursday.
 Tongluo train station

 Pantou Elementary School
 Inside Costco
 Rice burger. Really???

We had training again today and rode the train again. However, our training was cut short, so that our hosts could take us to a super fancy restaurant for lunch as a welcoming party for us. The restaurant was far, hidden away in a desolated mountainside. We were all wondering why they decided to take us to such place, but our questions were answered as soon as we stepped inside. The restaurant was very classy and the view was spectacular! We were all caught breathless by the majestic view of the scenery laid out before us, visible through the glass panels that lined the walls of the restaurant. The food was delicious and the view only made it better. I just feel so fortunate to be where I am, surrounded by all these wonderful things, experiences, and people.

Once we finished our lunch and had our nice little sharing time over desserts, they also took us to the tea house next door, where we all got to try some very traditional tea and preserved fruits, as well as enjoy the traditional ancient architecture of the place. It was such a nice place and I loved it there!


As much fun as we have had the past few days, there are work to be done, as school will be starting in roughly a week. I am supposed to meet up with my school principal and director tomorrow and find out my teaching schedule. However, I don't know if all will go according to planned, considering the typhoon that is supposed to hit Taiwan tomorrow. There's not just 1, but 2 coming back-to-back! This should be interesting...my first typhoon experience in Taiwan. I have most things ready, food and water stocked up at my place, flashlights and candles in case the power goes out, so we'll see how it goes.

 The view is breathtaking!
What a nice meal


 Traditional tea time!


No comments:

Post a Comment